Seventh Annual Arizona Taco Festival is rolling out cocktail and culinary competitions, delivering summertime fun in anticipation of this Fall’s ever-popular event, Oct. 15 & 16, at Salt River Fields.
Margarita Wars at Counter Intuitive. Bi-weekly cocktail competitions are slated this summer in partnership with Counter Intuitive, Scottsdale’s hottest new cocktail bar. Margarita Wars are a prelude to Arizona Taco Festival’s brand new Margarita Expo Tent, Sun., Oct. 16, which is a new extension of the event’s legendary Saturday Tequila Expo.
This summer, each installation of Margarita Wars features two competing bartenders using different agave-based spirits to create their version of margarita. Participants will advance to the Margarita Expo Tent Sun., Oct. 16, at Arizona Taco Festival. There, attendees will vote for their favorites, resulting in the top mixologist of the Margarita Wars.
Margarita Wars take place every other Monday, 6pm to 8pm at Counter Intuitive, in Old Town Scottsdale, 7133 E. Stetson Dr #4, Scottsdale, Ariz. 85251, and features FREE samples of the competitive concoctions.
The ‘war’ began Mon., July 25, a square off between Modern Margarita using La Fortaleza Tequila and Clever Koi featuring Tequila Ocho.
Next up Mon., Aug. 8, is Crudo featuring Siete Leguas vs. Jade Bar featuring Azunia tequila.
Margarita Wars Schedule to date:
· August 22. Oban featuring Arette and Okra using Nuestra Soledad San Luis del Rio
· September 5. Casino del Sol (Tucson) featuring Monte Lobos and Bitter & Twisted using El Tesoro
· September 19. The Ostrich featuring Herradura and Blue Hound Kitchen & Cocktails with El Jimador.
Meanwhile, at Arizona Taco Festival, guests can explore the Margarita Expo for $20, to sample up to 10 margarita cocktails of their choice from participating bartenders.
The winner of the Margarita Expo will receive a trip to Tales of the Cocktail, a leading industry event in New Orleans.
‘Rock the Guac,’ Fri., Sept., 16, Hotel Valley Ho. Meanwhile on the culinary side of things is Rock The Guac, Fri., Sept. 16 – on NATIONAL GUACAMOLE DAY — which also coincides with Mexican Independence Day.
From 6-9pm, at Hotel Valley Ho, 6850 E. Main St., Scottsdale, Ariz. 85251, Rock The Guac will pit (pun intended…!) more than 12 of the metro area’s top chefs in a battle for Top Guac and provide a festive way for guacamole fans to celebrate the big day, and gear up for Arizona Taco Festival at Salt River Fields.
Participating chefs include:
· Jennifer Russo- The Market by Jennifer’s
· Chef Mark Tarbell- Tarbell’s & The Tavern and Wine Store
· Doug Robson- Otro Café
· Mel Mecinas- Talavera at The Four Seasons Scottsdale
· Justin Pfeilsticker-Hotel Valley Ho
· Fidencio Alatriste- Bootleggers
· Aaron May- The Lodge & Overeasy & Goodwood
· Stephen Jones- The Larder + The Delta
· Bernie Kantak- The Gladly & Citizen Public House
· Anthony Serrano- El Palacio Cantina
· Kim & Tim Cobb: United Lunchadores & The Taco & Dilla Parlor
· Aaron Pool- Gadzooks Enchiladas & Soup
· Forest Hamrick- La Hacienda
· Richard Hinojosa- The Wigwam
· Jacob Cutino- Homeboy’s Habanero
· Alex Stratta- OAT Restaurant Group
Rock the Guac Tickets. Tickets are $40 online only at www.universe.com/rocktheguac featuring unlimited guacamole samples and two drink tickets featuring Patron margaritas, Corona cervezas and more.