I might be bleary eyed and yes, awake basically since 2am but I’m always hungry and coffee cake sounded good. This nursing thing keeps you eating all.day.long! Once big brother woke up at 6:30 I headed out to bake with him. Friends had brought over strawberries, so Strawberry Coffee Cake it was. Those few sacred moments spent baking with big brother this morning were much needed. Our time together has gotten shorter and shorter and I miss that closeness that we have had for four years. My focus has shifted and I know he feels it as much as I do.
#azfoodiebaby is almost three weeks old and I can’t say that he’s sleeping wonderful or that I’m sleeping wonderful or that I’m getting this thing down…yet. However, I can say that I can’t get enough of his sweet face and I’ve been surprised at how loving and helpful his big brother has been. I was warned by many that big brother would be mad and want me to take him back to the hospital but he’s never said that. Although last night he told me that he was sad that I didn’t have a lot of time for him anymore because of the baby (insert heart breaking).
Balance, the struggle is real. It has always been a struggle to find that balance and now it’s basically impossible. I know that it’s temporary but it’s hard to make a four year old see that. Even I get caught up in the moment and can’t imagine how I can stay up one more night or how I can sit in the house chained to the rocking chair and feedings for one more day. But I understand, I did it for big brother and I’ll do it for #azfoodiebaby because that’s what needs to be done. My life consists of holding the baby, feeding the baby and hopefully getting in an hour of sleep, three if I’m lucky here and there. I try to spend a few minutes with my husband and a few cuddles with big brother but I know it’s not enough.
So we baked, big brother mixed up the dry ingredients and then the wet and he helped get the strawberries and the baking pan. And then in big brother fashion he picked out all the strawberries from his piece of coffee cake and ate just the cake. I know it’s not much but those few minutes were just right.
Strawberry Coffee Cake Recipe(I make this dairy free and used coconut milk and coconut butter)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir to mix.
- In a second bowl, add the egg, milk and butter; stir to mix; add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8-inch square baking dish.
- Place strawberries evenly over the top of batter.
- To make the topping: Combine the flour and sugar in a bowl.
- With a pastry blender, cut in the butter until consistency of coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly over the strawberries.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.