I don’t usually make a flavored cupcake but these were a request and adapted from Sprinkles Cupcakes. We used vanilla cream cheese frosting, also a request, instead of the strawberry frosting that usually goes on top. I doubled the recipe and was able to make about 30 cupcakes and a mini cake for the birthday boy. I was only expecting to yield two dozen but no complaining here!
- 2/3 cup whole fresh strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup almond milk or any milk, I always use a milk substitute, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
For the Frosting
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
To prepare the cupcakes, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tins with cupcake liners; set aside
Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed. You should have about 1/3 cup of puree, add a few more strawberries if necessary or save any extra puree for frosting; set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, mix together milk, vanilla, and strawberry puree; set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.
Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.
To prepare the icing:
Cream butter and cream cheese together until fluffy and then add the sugar. Last add the vanilla and whip until the proper consistency.